About Dr. Stern’s Second Opinion Consultation Service
How do you, the patient, know that the individual to whom you are referred is knowledgeable and experienced? Negotiating today’s healthcare system is confusing and challenging. Referrals to specialists including back pain specialist is frequently based on the particular specialist participation in your network, is part of your referring physicians practice, an employee of the hospital, etc. With these conflicting interests there is little or no transparency as to the financial or other relationships involved in the referral. In addition, it is challenging to learn your treatment options in a medical system that values the specialists who tend to see the trees and not the forest.
These issues have prompted me to offer second opinions. The principle of which are,
1. My only financial incentive is the $500 cost of your consultation. I take no insurance.
2. I will not take you on as a patient.
3. Consultations are scheduled for one hour in order to make the best use of the time. I will have you fill out an intake questionnaire to be mailed to me before the consultation and I suggest that you send me all radiological studies, e.g. MRI, CAT scan, etc. so I can review them before you come; my staff will help you coordinate these.
4. After the consultation, you will receive a written report with my findings and suggestions.
5. I will make myself available to accept calls from your treating physician. I welcome these calls because I frequently learn important information that may alter my opinions.
6. Remember my opinions may frequently corroborate the treatment you are already getting and I do prefer the consultations be done in person but I am open to the possibility of communicating with you via Skype.
Jack Stern, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.C.S.
Call for information: 917-733-1524